Monday, September 12, 2011

Writing Technology

I commented on Jake and Joe's blogs!

When I was younger, my parents taught me how to read and write at home. I never used hooked on phonics or any other type of program. I learned how to read and write by doing it. I can vividly remember sitting down to the dinner table at age three writing out the alphabet for practice. I used to write in pencil because it was the best technology my family had at the time. Over the years, technology has made a giant leap forward with the invention of computers, typewriters, cell phones, and many other things. I was lucky enough to experience all of these forms of writing technology.  This technology changes the way people communicate whether it be through text message or e-mail. Different technologies work better for certain people. Thus, a broad spectrum of writing technology exists and new technology can certainly be expected to appear in the near future.
Barron’s essay talks in greater detail of the writing technologies and how they have evolved throughout the generations. In the essay, Barron accompanies the text with illustrations that explain and show examples of the main points of the essay. The picture of Abraham Lincoln and Marilyn Monroe shows how forgery can be produced using simple, everyday technology. Marilyn and Abraham did not live during the same generation, so the picture must have been tampered with. Some of the other illustrations show examples of Sumerian encryptions on clay tokens. Illustrations like these used to be early forms of writing. Pictographs were implemented when an alphabet was nowhere in sight. The pictures may not be technological, but they still are a form of communication. The idea of using images was resourceful, but cannot be thought of as technology. In this example, the technology would be the utensil used to make the images, not the images itself. From Barron’s essay, readers can better understand writing technology and how it has evolved and affected writing.  

3 comments:

  1. I agree completely with you about the fact that computers, cell phones have change the way people talk to each other. I liked your Blog about Writing Technology!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed what you read, granted, I disagree with you on writing not being a technology. It's something that has developed over time and has become more and more intricate and useful. It's a little outside the box in thinking about it, but writing is very much a technology in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to you in your younger days whne your parents only had a pencil for you. Growing up my parents also couldn't afford any form of computer or even a calculator for me for that matter.

    ReplyDelete