Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rhetoric, Rhetoric, Rhetoric


After reading Keith Grant-Davie’s article about rhetoric, I have a better understanding of discrete situations. To me, a rhetorical situation is a situation where a person may say one thing to be polite, but is actually trying to alter the future by discretely hinting at another action while trying to be polite and normal. When a reader can understand rhetorical situations, he/she has a better understanding of why an author chose to write the way they did. As a writer, rhetorical discourse could be used to imply a small problem in the present that is hardly noticed. Being able to identify, understand, and use rhetorical discourse is a great addition to anyone’s writing skills.  
After finishing the article, I had to take a break and reread confusing parts of it. At first, I was still a little unclear about rhetorical situations until I went through the article again. This essay from Grant-Davie was a chore to stay awake through. By the middle of the article, I was fighting off saggy eyelids and a roaming mind. I found myself getting distracted easily because I was so bored during the reading. To me, the article could have been more concise and to the point, rather than be drawn out like it was. The article was very professional and could be difficult to understand due to the extensive vocabulary that was unknown to me. After making my way through the article, I can see why understanding rhetorical situations has a big effect on reading and writing publications.

No comments:

Post a Comment